Wednesday, December 6, 2006

The Whys Behind Our Actions

"He who has a why can endure any how." - Friedrich Nietzsche

These simple words reflect a deep understanding of human nature. We do seem to be undeterred many times by amazing obstacles in the pursuit of some goal, and we applaud the attempt in others. This tendency is also particularly apparent to me within the field of academia. I've heard it said that Ph.D. students are masochists, and sometimes we are, but in Nietzsche's view, we are simply enduring now for an end state that actually matters to us. In other words, we each must have our own personal why.

We often concentrate in our society on the how. How can I make money to support my family? How can I get my Ph.D. completed in enough time? How can I endure another family holiday without wanting to scream? Some people go so far to say that actually completing our goals is not most important, but going out an attempting to complete them is what matters. So, the emphasize is on the how. Go out and do what needs to be done so that you can hopefully reach some sort of desired end state. The focus is on action.

What we sometimes forget to remember is the why, which is important to question now and then. As my grandfather bluntly pointed out to me this past Thanksgiving, sometimes we don't understand the true reasons behind our labors. His point (minus the unsavory language, and his undiplomatic presentation style) was that once we can grasp the why, we then have the ability to more truly understand ourselves.

In retrospect, I agree. At the time, I was less agreeable to his suggestion. We often labor on for years (or lifetimes) after a goal, which we may not have ever wanted or do not want anymore. We know exactly how, but we would be hard pressed to tell you why. It's easier that way - inertia is a powerful force. Again, to refer to Nietzsche, "The person lives most beautifully who does not reflect upon existence." The trick is that knowing the why is a double-edged sword. Understanding gives you the tools to forge a better how, but along with it is the possibility for psychological pain. For many, ignorance is bliss. But some choose the inevitable growing pains that come with understanding, in the belief that once they reach the other side, they will actually have a greater appreciation for whatever they've deemed worthy enough to fight for.

In this holiday season, and on into New Year's, I will be focusing on trying to identify the why. In the past, I've often settled for the how, and that has brought heartache to me, and probably to any of the rest of you who have ever been frustrated to tears by your family when the how gets shattered by other people's agendas. I wish you good luck in figuring out your whys, and leave you with one last word from Nietzsche:

"A thought, even a possibility, can shatter and transform us."

No comments: