Friday, January 19, 2007

Rainy Day

"Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - Anonymous

Today is the best type of day. It is drizzling, there's a chill to the air, and I'm tucked up nice and warm in my office observing it all. It's beautiful and calming.

When I was a child, my mother used to say that I was "sunshine and thunderstorms." This was due to my proclivity to get really angry, go to my room and let it out, and then come out smiling again. Thankfully, I outgrew that phase, but I feel that I've been this way lately, despite my 28 years of experience here on the earth. However, I'd like to turn my mother's metaphor on its head, primarily because I like the rain more than the sunshine. So, here goes...

Lately, I've been like the peaceful rain that suddenly shines blinding light* on people around me before becoming placid once more. I'm not proud of it, but there's something deep inside that keeps bringing out the harsh light and overshadowing the gentleness. Perhaps it's the career, perhaps it's something else, but I need to figure it out, before I blind the people I love the most.** And for the rest of you:

"May you always have walls for the wind, a roof for the rain, tea beside the fire, laughter to cheer you, those you love near you and all your heart might desire." - Irish Blessing

I would also add: "May you have gigantic puddles for jumping in, and a warm cat to periodically land on your lap."

*Mind you, I would like to think that I haven't been as "blinding" as this fine tool.
**This is especially pertinent to one particular person right now, and for that I'm truly sorry to him.

1 comment:

TDEC said...

Oh I do love good rainy days, or tepid Florida rainy days, and being inside when it's cold and wet, or when the sun sets and shines under the dark clouds...