Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Global Warming and Hope

"The earth is what we all have in common." -Wendell Berry

I am trying to finish up my last minute things before our trip tomorrow, and have Fresh Air on in the background. Terry Gross is speaking with Reverend Richard Cizik, who is the vice president for government affairs at the National Association of Evangelicals, and trying to increase the religious right's understanding of global warming.

Frankly, I am happily amazed to hear such an intelligent, well-spoken man of faith, and self-declared conservative, discussing a traditionally "liberal/democrat" cause. I encourage all of you to listen to the interview as well when the audio becomes available at 3:00 p.m. EST. It's a glimmer of how people on opposite sides of our country's political fence can come together in mutual understanding of common causes.

At this time of the year, it's this kind of thing that gives me hope.

No comments: