Saturday, September 13, 2008

I'm losing patience...

Warning: This post will include whining. I apologize in advance.

When I was in college, I once got a cold that temporarily rendered me unable to smell. It lasted for about three days, but it was a very strange sensation to try to eat without being able to smell. Food just wasn't fun, but I knew I had to eat or I would get cranky.

This time, I haven't had my voice for over a month. It has been a crazy saga, that started with out-of-whack asthma, moved on to a nasty viral infection, and is still persisting with laryngitis. On Thursday, the doctor told me that I will likely not have my voice for at least two more weeks, and even after it comes back, I should treat it tenderly for a week longer so I don't stress my vocal chords too much. Apparently, if you hurt your vocal chords you can cause a permanent laryngitis-type state.

In the meantime, I've been croaking my way along as best I can. I love the looks from salespeople who ask me how I am. They just aren't expecting me to sound like Dr. Girlfriend, as my husband likes to refer to me right now. I'm not supposed to talk any more than necessary, and I have been using a microphone when I teach my classes. My husband and I write notes to each other.

I was patient with this for the first four weeks. I told all my friends that I would catch up with them when my voice returned. Unfortunately, not talking to my friends for quite some time after moving to a new location has the side-effect of making me feel quite trapped. (I don't spend time in the department, because pretty much all I can do when talking to people is nod and smile, and that just isn't that fun.) Not talking to my friends also makes me feel like quite a shmuck. In particular, my best friend found out that she is pregnant, and I haven't been able to talk to her, except to croak, "Congratulations!" She told me to call when my voice was back - that was three weeks ago.

Anyway, I'm SO ready for this to end. I really miss my voice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry. You are possibly one the least shmucky people in the world. But one month of laryngitis? I think I'd kill somebody, and I know that I'd get really snarky with the doctors if they didn't have a solution. Especially if I were in your place, and my job required me to speak. Who knew that moving away from here would cause physical infirmity?

Anyway, I have a possible solution for your isolation. Instant messaging. Most of your other friends may not have the time to engage in an IM conversation, but I do. Let me know if you do, and we'll set up a time to talk.